GRAVITY RESEARCH FOUNDATION
PO BOX 81389
WELLESLEY HILLS MA 02481-0004
THE TRUSTEES ARE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THE AWARDS FOR ESSAYS FOR 2010.
1. $4,000 – Building Up Spacetime with Quantum Entanglement by Mark Van Raamsdonk, Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of British Columbia, 6224 Agricultural Road, Vancouver, B.C., V6T 1W9, Canada; e-mail: mav[AT]phas.ubc.ca
2. $1,250 – Membrane Paradigm Realized? by Samir D. Mathur, Department of Physics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210; e-mail: mathur[AT]mps.ohio-state.edu
3. $1,000 – The Dangers of Extremes by Donald Marolf, Physics Department, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA 93106; e-mail: marolf[AT]physics.ucsb.edu
4. $750 – The Necessity of Torsion in Gravity by Richard T. Hammond, Department of Physics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 and ARO Research Triangle Park; e-mail: rhammond[AT]email.unc.edu
5. $500 – Conditions for Spontaneous Homogenization of the Universe by Krzysztof Bolejko (1) and William R. Stoeger (2), (1) Steward Observatory, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721 and Nicolaus Copernicus Astronomical Center, Bartycka 18, 00-716 Warszawa, Poland; (2) Vatican Observatory Research Group, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721: e-mail: bolejko[AT]camk.edu.pl
Selected for Honorable Mention this year were (listed in alphabetical order): Antonio Accioly, Jose’ Helayel- Neto, and Eslley Scatena; Giovanni Amelino-Camelia, Niccolo’ Loret, Gianluca Mandanici, and Flavio Mercati; Sudarshan Ananth; R. Balbinot, I. Carusotto, A. Fabbri, and A. Recati; Rabin Banerjee; R. Brout; A. A. Coley; F. I. Cooperstock and M. J. Dupre; Aharon Davidson and Ilya Gurwich; John Bruce Davies; A. Di Virgilio, U. Schreiber, N. Beverini, and A. Tartaglia; Sourish Dutta, Robert J. Scherrer, and Stephen D. H. Hsu; Ariel Edery and Benjamin Constantineau; Shahar Hod; Craig J. Hogan; Vishnu Jejjala, Djordje Minic, Y. Jack Ng, and Chia-Hsiung Tze; Axel Kleinschmidt and Hermann Nicolai; Lance Labun and Johann Rafelski; M. D. Maia; Adam Moss, Ali Narimani, and Douglas Scott; Ishwaree P. Neupane; T. Padmanabhan; Don N. Page; Carlo Rovelli and Francesca Vidotto; Tejinder P. Singh; C. Sivaram; Martin S. Sloth; George F. Smoot; C. S. Unnikrishnan and G. T. Gillies; Asher Yahalom.
This announcement and abstracts of award-winning and honorable mention essays will be posted when ready on our web site, http://www.gravityresearchfoundation.org/. The five award-winning essays will be published in the Journal of General Relativity and Gravitation (GRG) and subsequently, in a special issue of the International Journal of Modern Physics D (IJMPD). They will also be posted at a later date on our web site.