Roger W. Babson, FOUNDER
George M. Rideout, Jr. President
The trustees are pleased to announce the Awards for Essays for 2018.
1. $4,000 – Gravity’s Universality: The Physics Underlying Tolman Temperature Gradients by Jessica Santiago and Matt Visser, School of Mathematics and Statistics, Victoria University of Wellington; PO Box 600, Wellington 6140, New Zealand; e-mail: jessica.santiago[AT]sms.vuw.ac.nz, matt.visser[AT]sms.vuw.ac.nz
2. $1,250 – A Microscopic Model for an Emergent Cosmological Constant by Alejandro Perez, Daniel Sudarsky, and James D. Bjorken, Aix Marseille Univ, Université de Toulon, CNRS, CPT, Marseille, France, Instituto de Ciencias Nucleares, Universidad Nacional, Autónoma de México, México, D.F. 04510, México, SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94309; e-mail: perez[AT]cpt.univ-mrs.fr, sudarsky[AT]nucleares.unam.mx, bjbjorken[AT]gmail.com
3. $1,000 – GR and Classical Mechanics: Magic? by Ezra Newman, Dept of Physics and Astronomy, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213; e-mail: newman[AT]pitt.edu
4. $750 – The Kinetic Theory of the Mesoscopic Spacetime by T. Padmanabhan, IUCAA, Pune University Campus, Ganeshkhind, Pune – 411 007, India; e-mail: paddy[AT]iucaa.in
5. $500 – The Holographic Space-time Model of Cosmology by Tom Banks and W. Fischler, NHETC and Department of Physics, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ 08854-8019, Department of Physics and Texas Cosmology Center, University of Texas, Austin, TX 78712; e-mail: tibanks[AT]ucsc.edu, fischler[AT]physics.utexas.edu
Selected for Honorable Mention this year were (listed in alphabetical order): Ana Alonso-Serrano, Mariusz P. Dabrowski, and Hussain Gohar; Sudarshan Ananth, Lars Brink, and Sucheta Majumdar; Swastik Bhattacharya and S. Shankaranarayanan; Jens Boos; Subenoy Chakraborty and Subhra Bhattacharya; Chiang- Mei Chen, Jian-Liang Liu, and James M. Nester; Christian Corda; Saurya Das, Mir Faizal, and Elias C. Vagenas; Eric Dupuis and M. B. Paranjape; Joshua Erlich; C. Fairoos, Avirup Ghosh, and Sudipta Sarkar; Arthur E Fischer; Steven B. Giddings; Andri Gretarsson, Preston Jones, and Douglas Singleton; D. Grumiller and M.M. Sheikh-Jabbari; Richard T Hammond; Shahar Hod; Olaf Hohm; Sabine Hossenfelder and Tobias Mistele; Michael J. Kavic, Djordje Minic, and John Simonetti; Swanand Khanapurkar and Tejinder P. Singh; Stefano Lucat, Tomislav Prokopec, and Bogumila Swiezewska; Emil J. Martinec; Samir D. Mathur; Tim R. Morris; Joan Sola Peracaula; Fabrizio Pinto; Nikodem Poplawski; R. H. Sanders; W. M. Stuckey, Timothy McDevitt, A. K. Sten, and Michael Silberstein; Angelo Tartaglia; C. S. Unnikrishnan and George T. Gillies; Tanmay Vachaspati and George Zahariade; Yong Xiao.
This announcement and abstracts of award-winning and honorable mention essays will be posted when ready on our web site, http://www.gravityresearchfoundation.org. The five award-winning essays will be published in a special issue of the International Journal of Modern Physics D (IJMPD). They will also be posted at a later date on our web site.