Contact:  nbia-school[AT]nbi.ku.dkLocation:  Skeikampen, Norway
The Nordic Winter School on Gravitational Astrophysics aims to introduce Ph.D. students, advanced Master’s students and Postdocs to current exciting topics in gravitation, particle physics and cosmology. It takes place at the beautiful Thon Hotel Skeikampen, approximately 40 kilometers north of Lillehammer (200 km north of Oslo). You can find details about the area here: http://www.skeikampen.no/en/.
This year, the school has a particular focus on Gravitational Physics and the science behind gravitational wave analysis. The School will feature the following invited guest lecturers:
* Elisa Bortolas (University of Milano Bicocca) — Formation of Supermassive Black Hole Binaries
* Simon Portegies Zwart (University of Leiden) — Computational Astrophysics and Gravitational wave sources
* Aaron Zimmerman (University of Texas Austin) — Gravitational Wave physics and observations
Together with shorter topical lectures by:
* Johan Samsing — Formation channels for binary black holes
* Jose M. Ezquiaga — Fundamental Physics and Cosmology with Gravitational Waves
* Daniel J. D’Orazio — Finding Supermassive Black Hole Binaries
* Maarten van de Meent – Modelling Black Hole Binary Dynamics
The Winter School attendance will be limited to 40 participants. Please check the Registration page for detailed information about the necessary registration materials. Preference will be given to applicants from the Nordic countries, but there will be more spaces available and we encourage participants from all nationalities and backgrounds to apply. Young post-docs are encouraged to participate as well. Exceptionally talented M.Sc. students can apply too.
Transportation between Oslo Airport and the hotel will be provided without cost. All participants are expected to arrange their own travel to and from Oslo.