Contact:  sascha.husa[AT]uib.esLocation:  Palma de Mallorca, Spain
For this call we are looking for two highly motivated scientific software developers/research software engineers who will actively engage in the computational research activities carried out in the gravitational physics group.
The successful candidates will support our research in gravitational wave data analysis and numerical relativity and will be involved in our contributions to the LIGO Scientific Collaboration, the Einstein Telescope and the LISA Consortium.
Research in the group spans a wide range of topics, including gravitational wave data analysis, waveform modelling and numerical relativity. Computing is carried out using an in-house high-performance computer cluster, and external resources such as the Mare Nostrum supercomputer or the LIGO data grid. The group comprises PIs Alicia Sintes and Sascha Husa and faculty members David Keitel and Jaume Carot, as well as several postdoctoral researchers and PhD students, and it is involved in the LIGO Scientific Collaboration, the LISA Consortium and the Einstein Telescope project. For further details see http://grg.uib.es.
The initial contract will be for 2 years (01.06.2023- 31.05.2025). The contract may be extended until 30.09.2026 depending on performance and funding. Monthly Salary will be EUR 2995.
Minimal requirement will be a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in computer science, astronomy, physics or a related discipline, with software developing experience.
* Experience in using high-performance computing (HPC) or high-throughput computing (HTC) resources.
* Expert knowledge in computational languages used in the physics and astrophysics community (e.g. Python, C/C++, Mathematica).
* Experience in using Unix/Linux and macOS.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
Preference will be given to candidates with:
* A background in gravitational-wave physics or astrophysics.
* Familiarity with gravitational-wave software.
* A PhD in Informatics, Astronomy, Physics or related fields (not a requirement).
* Familiarity with modern software development practices, such as version control (Git) and continuous integration (CI).
* Knowledge of machine-learning methods.
* Experience in numerical solutions of ordinary and partial differential equations.
* Support the development and maintenance of software packages used to generate waveform models, and used for statistical inference of the properties of observed gravitational-wave signals.
* Performance optimisation and documentation of scientific software.
* Consult and train scientists in the use of software.
* Support research and publications conducted by scientists in the group.
* Visualisation of results.
The starting day for the contract may be negotiated, but a starting date 1.06.2023 is preferred.
The deadline for applications is April 24th 2023.
* Candidates will need to apply through the human resources management at UIB. Instructions for the application process can be found at https://investigacio.uib.eu/Contractacio/Convocatories-vigents. The call reference number and job description are 2022-23_6_53 Scientific software developer in gravitational wave physics at the University of the Balearic Islands.
* Applications should be submitted via the Researcher Portal at the University of the Balearic Islands https://ppi.uib.eu/ by filling the relevant application form and uploading all required documents (CV, Passport, academic records, certificates, and any other supporting documents of the CV). When filling the form, non-Spanish applicants need to click the box authorising “a duly authorised civil servant at the University of the Balearic Islands to register all the documentation requested” in the call for applications. The resulting PDF file of the form, together with the required supporting documents, should then be emailed to forhu.contractacio[AT]uib.cat
* For questions or help with the application process please contact alicia.sintes[AT]uib.es and sascha.husa[AT]uib.es.