Gravity Research Foundation, Awards for the Essays 2012
GRAVITY RESEARCH FOUNDATION
PO BOX 81389
WELLESLEY HILLS MA 02481-0004
Roger W. Babson, Founder
George M. Rideout, Jr., President
The trustees are pleased to announce the Awards for Essays for 2012.
1. $4,000 – Can Effects of Quantum Gravity Be Observed in the Cosmic Microwave Background? by Claus Kiefer and Manuel Kraemer, Institute for Theoretical Physics, University of Cologne, Zuelpicher Strasse 77, 50937 Koeln, Germany; e-mail: kiefer[AT]thp.uni-koeln.de mk[AT]thp.uni-koeln.de
2. $1,250 – What Can the Information Paradox Tell Us about the Early Universe? by Samir D. Mathur, Department of Physics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210; e-mail: mathur[AT]mps.ohio-state.edu
3. $1,000 – The Unbearable Beingness of Light – Dressing and Undressing Photons in Black Hole Spacetimes by Timothy J. Hollowood and Graham M. Shore, Department of Physics, Swansea University, Swansea, SA2 8PP, UK: e-mail: t.hollowood[AT]swansea.ac.uk g.m.shore[AT]swansea.ac.uk
4. $750 – Holographic Space-Time by Tom Banks, NHETC and Department of Physics and Astronomy, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ 08854-8019, and SCIPP and Department of Physics, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064-1077; e-mail: banks[AT]scipp.ucsc.edu
5. $500 – Secret Life of the Spacetime by T. Padmanabhan, IUCAA, Post Bag 4, Ganeshkhind, Pune – 411007, India; e-mail: paddy[AT]iucaa.ernet.in
Selected for Honorable Mention this year were (listed in alphabetical order) Giovanni Amelino-Camelia, Valerio Astuti and Giacomo Rosati; Jacob D. Bekenstein; Adam R. Brown and Alex Dahlen; Marcelo Botta Cantcheff; Marios Christodoulou, Aldo Riello and Carlo Rovelli; Joseph P. Conlon; Christian Corda; Lawrence B. Crowell; Upasana Das and Banibrata Mukhopadhyay; Arundhati Dasgupta and Adamantia Zampeli; Aharon Davidson and Ben Yellin; Henrique P. de Oliveira, Leopoldo A. Pando Zayas and Cesar A. Terrero-Escalante; Irina Dymnikova; Ariel Edery and Hugues Beauchesne; Homer G. Ellis; Tiberiu Harko and Francisco S. N. Lobo; Shahar Hod; Viqar Husain and Dawood Kothawala; Ted Jacobson; Priti Mishra and Tejinder P. Singh; Sujoy Kumar Modak and Douglas Singleton; Kouji Nakamura; M. B. Paranjape; Ira Z. Rothstein; Rolf Schimmrigk; C. Sivaram and Kenath Arun; Albert Stebbins; W.M. Stuckey, T.J. McDevitt and M. Silberstein; Yu Tian, Xiao-Ning Wu and Hongbao Zhang; Christos G. Tsagas; C. S. Unnikrishnan and G. T. Gillies; Ram Gopal Vishwakarma.
This announcement and abstracts of award-winning and honorable mention essays will be posted when ready on our web site, http://www.gravityresearchfoundation.org. The five award-winning essays will be published in a special issue of the International Journal of Modern Physics D (IJMPD). They will also be posted at a later date on our web site.