2015 Awards for Essays on Gravitation announcement
GRAVITY RESEARCH FOUNDATION
PO BOX 81389
WELLESLEY HILLS MA 02481-0004
Roger W. Babson (Founder)
George M. Rideout, Jr. (President)
The trustees are pleased to announce the Awards for Essays for 2015.
1. $4,000 – Local Conformal Symmetry: the Missing Symmetry Component for Space and Time by Gerard ‘t Hooft, Institute for Theoretical Physics, Utrecht University and Spinoza Institute, Postbox 80.195, 3508 TD Utrecht, the Netherlands; e-mail: g.thooft[AT]uu.nl
2. $1,250 – Gravity as the Breakdown of Conformal Invariance by Giovanni Amelino-Camelia, Michele Arzano, Giulia Gubitosi, and Joao Magueijo, Dipartimento di Fisica, Università La Sapienza and Sez. Roma1 INFN, P.le A. Moro 2, 00185 Roma, Italia, TheoreticalPhysics, Blackett Laboratory, Imperial College, London, SW7 2BZ, United Kingdom; e-mail: giovanni.amelino-camelia[AT]roma1.infn.it, michele.arzano[AT]roma1.infn.it, g.gubitosi[AT]imperial.ac.uk, j.magueijo[AT]imperial.ac.uk
3. $1,000 – Nature Abhors a Horizon by Per Kraus and Samir D. Mathur, Department of Physics and Astronomy, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1547, Department of Physics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210; e-mail: pkraus[AT]ucla.edu, mathur.16[AT]osu.edu
4. $750 – Fractionated Branes and Black Hole Interiors by Emil J. Martinec, Enrico Fermi Inst. and Dept. of Physics, University of Chicago, 5640 S. Ellis Ave., Chicago, IL 60637-1433; e-mail: e-martinec[AT]uchicago.edu
5. $500 – The Essence of Gravitational Waves and Energy by F. I. Cooperstock, Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Victoria, P.O. Box 3055, Victoria, B.C. V8W 3P6, Canada; e-mail: cooperst[AT]uvic.ca
Selected for Honorable Mention this year were (listed in alphabetical order): Tim Adamo; N. Afshordi, R. B. Mann, and R. Pourhasan; Dharam Vir Ahluwalia, Lance Labun, and Giorgio Torrieri; Shreya Banerjee, Sayantani Bera, and Tejinder P. Singh; Tom Banks; Carlos Barcelo, Raul Carballo-Rubio, and Luis J. Garay; John D. Barrow and Alexander A. H. Graham; Eric Bergshoeff, Wout Merbis, Alasdair J. Routh, and Paul K. Townsend; Swastik Bhattacharya and S. Shankaranarayanan; Eugenio Bianchi, Lucas Hackl, and Nelson Yokomizo; N. E. J Bjerrum-Bohr, John F. Donoghue, Basem Kamal El-Menoufi, Barry R. Holstein, Ludovic Plante, and Pierre Vanhove; Xian O. Camanho, Jose D. Edelstein, and Alexander Zhiboedov; Massimo Cerdonio and Carlo Rovelli; Saurya Das; Upasana Das and Banibrata Mukhopadhyay; Aharon Davidson and Ben Yellin; John Bruce Davies; Laurent Freidel, Robert G. Leigh, and Djordje Minic; M. Gasperini; A. Gruppuso and A. Sagnotti; Carlos A. R. Herdeiro and Eugen Radu; Shahar Hod; Preston Jones and Douglas Singleton; Prado Martín-Moruno and Nelson J. Nunes; Ali Masoumi; Eduard G. Mychelkin and Maxim A. Makukov; T. Padmanabhan; Maulik Parikh; Jeremy Sakstein and Kazuya Koyama; Ashoke Sen; C. Sivaram; Joan Sola; C. S. Unnikrishnan and George T. Gillies; Aron C. Wall.
This announcement and abstracts of award-winning and honorable mention essays will be posted when ready on our web site, http://www.gravityresearchfoundation.org. The five award-winning essays will be published in a special issue of the International Journal of Modern Physics D (IJMPD). They will also be posted at a later date on our web site.