The trustees are pleased to announce the Awards for Essays for 2017.
1. $4,000 – Gravity and Handedness of Photons by Ivan Agullo, Adrian del Rio, and Jose Navarro-Salas, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803-4001, Departamento de Fisica Teorica and IFIC, Centro Mixto Universidad de Valencia-CSIC. Facultad de Fisica, Burjassot-46100, Valencia, Spain; e-mail: agullo[AT]lsu.edu, adrian.rio[AT]uv.es, jnavarro[AT]ific.uv.es
2. $1,250 – Spacetime Has a ‘Thickness’ by Samir D. Mathur, Department of Physics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210; e-mail: mathur.16[AT]osu.edu
3. $1,000 – Black Holes and Hurwitz Class Numbers by Shamit Kachru and Arnav Tripathy, Stanford Institute for Theoretical Physics, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 94305, Department of Mathematics, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138; Email: skachru[AT]stanford.edu, tripathy[AT]math.harvard.edu
4. $750 – A Proof of the Weak Gravity Conjecture by Shahar Hod, The Ruppin Academic Center, Emeq Hefer 40250, Israel and The Hadassah Institute, Jerusalem 91010, Israel; e-mail: shaharhod[AT]gmail.com
5. $500 – Gravitational Wave – Gauge Field Dynamics by R. R. Caldwell, C. Devulder, and N. A. Maksimova, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Dartmouth College, 6127 Wilder Laboratory, Hanover, NH 03755, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, Cambridge, MA 02138; e-mail: robert.r.caldwell[AT]dartmouth.edu, christopher.devulder.gr[AT]dartmouth.edu, nina.maksimova[AT]cfa.harvard.edu
Selected for Honorable Mention this year were (listed in alphabetical order): Dharam Vir Ahluwalia; Michele Arzano and Gianluca Calcagni;Valentina Baccetti, Robert B. Mann, and Daniel R. Terno; Ning Bao, Sean M. Carroll, and Ashmeet Singh; W. Barreto, H. P. de Oliveira, and E. L. Rodrigues; John D. Barrow and Chandrima Ganguly; Spyros Basilakos, Vahid Kamali, and Ahmad Mehrabi; David Benisty and E. I. Guendelman; Pablo Bueno and Pablo A. Cano; Alexander Burinskii; F. I. Cooperstock; Maxim Eingorn, Claus Kiefer, and Alexander Zhuk; Netta Engelhardt and Sebastian Fischetti; John Estes, Michael Kavic, Matthew Lippert, and John H. Simonetti; Ricardo Z. Ferreira, McCullen Sandora, and Martin S. Sloth; Arthur E. Fischer; Antonino Flachi and Kenji Fukushima; Wen-Cong Gan and Fu-Wen Shu; Yuan K. Ha; Richard T. Hammond; Johan Hansson and Stephane Francois; Robert J. Hardwick, Vincent Vennin, and David Wands; Nader A. Inan; Nirmalya Kajuri; Archil Kobakhidze, Cyril Lagger, and Adrian Manning; Philip D. Mannheim; Elliot Nelson and C. Jess Riedel; T. Padmanabhan and Hamsa Padmanabhan; Tejinder P. Singh; C. Sivaram; Matt Visser; Asher Yahalom.
This announcement and abstracts of award-winning and honorable mention essays will be posted when ready on our web site, http:/www.gravityresearchfoundation.org. The five award-winning essays will be published in a special issue of the International Journal of Modern Physics D (IJMPD). They will also be posted at a later date on our web site.