Location: London, Ontario, Canada
PhD position in Loop Quantum Gravity, London, Canada
We invite applications for a PhD position in the new research group led by Francesca Vidotto at the Department of Applied Mathematics of the University of Western Ontario in London, Canada (www.uwo.ca/apmaths).
The duration of the PhD degree is of 4 years and students are usually expected to work as teaching assistant for two courses during the academic year. The successful candidate will be fully involved in the research life of the group, in particular in connection to the development of new computational tools for Loop Quantum Gravity.
The research in the group will include:
– analytical and numerical aspects of spinfoam amplitudes, in particular applied to cosmology and black holes,
– quantum gravity phenomenology, in particular astrophysical and cosmological signatures of black/white holes and remnants,
– conceptual aspects in the physics of space-time, in particular those connected to singularity resolution and spacetime emergence,
– foundations of physics, focusing on relational aspects across relativity and quantum theory.
The research at Western is fostered by a highly interdisciplinary environment. The group participates in the activities of the Rotman Institute for Philosophy of Science and benefits of close interactions with the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, located at just 1 hour distance by car.
The campus of Western University provides a stimulating and welcoming environment. We particularly encourage applications from those individuals who can enrich the intellectual and human diversity of our working environment, and we commit to make an active effort towards this goal.
*How to Apply*
The review of the applications starts on February 24th and will continue until the position is filled. Informal inquires about possible additional openings are welcome at any time of year.
In order to complete your application, please fill the form at
https://forms.gle/rRuPeisWSCFQUT2F9 and send the following documents combined in a single pdf file to fvidotto[AT]uwo.ca, formatting the subject as “PhD Application – YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME”:
1. Cover Letter, highlighting your motivations and aspirations
2. Curriculum Vitae, highlighting research experiences if any
3. A transcript of records of university courses and grades
//php get_template_part( 'content', 'single' ); ?> //php comments_template( '', true ); ?>