Contact:  mjhsma[AT]rit.eduLocation:  Rochester, NY, USA
The School of Mathematical Sciences (SMS) at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) invites applications for a tenure-track position in data analytics/statistics at the Assistant Professor level starting in August 2022. Preference will be given to applications in research areas that align with existing research groups and/or strategic initiatives within the School, College, and Institute, but other areas of statistics and mathematics that complement existing research groups will be considered. The School of Mathematical Sciences has research groups in the areas of biomedical modeling, computational relativity and gravitation, data science, dynamical systems, fluid dynamics, Earth systems, industrial mathematics, and inverse problems, as well as a developing focus on cybersecurity.
Responsibilities include research, teaching, and service to the School of Mathematical Sciences, the College of Science, and RIT. The successful candidate will be expected to teach courses in data analytics, statistics, and/or mathematics, assist in developing a new data analytics emphasis in the School’s Applied Statistics and Data Analytics B.S. program, develop a research program that receives external funding, and advise undergraduate and graduate students in other School of Mathematical Sciences’ programs-including the Mathematical Modeling Ph.D. program. Successful applicants will demonstrate research potential complementing existing research groups and/or strategic research areas, a commitment to obtaining external grants to support research, an enthusiasm for teaching and engaging undergraduate and graduate students in mathematical sciences, and a dedication to furthering the mission of the School, College, and Institute.
We are seeking individuals who have the ability and interest to contribute to a community committed to student-centeredness; professional development and scholarship; integrity and ethics; respect, diversity, and pluralism; innovation and flexibility; and teamwork and collaboration.
The School of Mathematical Sciences (SMS) is one of six academic units in RIT’s College of Science, which also houses the Chester F. Carlson Center for Imaging Science, the Integrated Sciences Academy, the School of Chemistry and Materials Science, the School of Physics and Astronomy, and the Thomas H. Gosnell School of Life Sciences. The SMS promotes research in mathematical and statistical sciences and is the home of 77 faculty members, four administrative staff members, three undergraduate programs (Applied Mathematics, Computational Mathematics, and Applied Statistics and Data Analytics), two MS programs (Applied and Computational Mathematics, Applied Statistics) and a Ph.D. program in Mathematical Modeling. The SMS offers the required mathematics and statistics courses for students from all RIT programs.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
* A PhD. or an equivalent degree in statistics, mathematics, applied mathematics, or a related field completed by the date of appointment.
* A record of research in data analytics and/or applied statistics.
* Post-doctoral research or professional experience.
* Ability to communicate in English.
* Potential to collaborate with SMS and other RIT faculty members.
* An ongoing record of peer-reviewed publications.
* A commitment to obtaining external grants to support research.
* A commitment to undergraduate and graduate education in data analytics and statistics.
* A commitment to mentoring graduate and undergraduate students in research.
* Ability to contribute to the college’s continuing commitment to cultural diversity, pluralism, and individual differences.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at http://careers.rit.edu/faculty. Search: 6065BR. Please submit your online application, cover letter addressing the required qualifications, curriculum vitae, and the upload the following attachments:
* The names, email addresses, and phone numbers for three references
* Research Statement
* Statement of Diversity Contribution
* Statement of Teaching Philosophy
Applicants should apply by November 1, 2021 to ensure full consideration.