Contact:  katrin.kanter[AT]uni-jena.deLocation:  Jena, Germany
The Theoretical Physics Institute (TPI) at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena is seeking highly qualified candidates for a scientific staff position in the area of scientific and high performance computing. The research scientist is expected to support current research and teaching activities at TPI, that include quantum field theory, quantum gravity, many-particle theory, relativity, numerical relativity, and computational astrophysics. Scientific computing is a strong component in all the TPI research groups, that also have important connection to large international collaborations as, for example, Virgo and the LIGO-Virgo-Kagra collaboration and the ENGRAVE collaboration.
The successful candidate’s area of work includes, but is not limited to:
* Supporting research at TPI in the area of scientific computing and high performance computing.
* Training and teaching in the field of computational physics
* Installation and maintenance of computing infrastructure, services, and hardware at TPI and at the Physics Faculty in close collaboration with the University Computing Center
* Application-oriented services related to the creation of modern software, parallelization, data management for international collaborations
The appointment is initially for 2 years, but it is expected to become permanent after a positive evaluation. The candidate will be eligible for obtaining the Habilitation and will work in a vibrant research environment.
The candidate should have a PhD in the area of physics, scientific computing, or in a related field including mathematics or computer science. Very good knowledge of both German and English is required; part of the teaching is expected to be in German. Solid knowledge in administration of Linux computers, servers, virtualization and RAID systems is required. Experience in scientific computing, such as High Performance Computing, Monte Carlo methods, or algebraic computing is preferred and highly evaluated.
* Full-time position (40h per week)
* Remuneration according to the regulations of the collective agreement for the public service of the federal states (TV-L) according to the personal requirements of the salary group (E13)
* A comprehensive further education and training program, including the possibility of obtaining the Habilitation.
* Excellent university computational facilities, and possibility to collaborate with the University computing center
* A family-friendly working environment with a variety of offers for families: university family office (JUniFamilie) and flexible childcare (JUniKinder)
Applications are due by 10.12.2021 . Please see
for more details and instructions on how to submit your application.