Contact:  coordenacao[AT]iastro.ptLocation:  Portugal and Spain
Instituto de Astrofisica e Ciencias do Espaco (IA) welcomes PhD applications in the framework of La Caixa Programme. The
“la Caixa” Doctoral INPhINIT Fellowships Programme (Incoming) invites applications to recruit 35 early-stage researchers of any nationality to carry out their PhD projects at a select number of universities and research institutes in Portugal and Spain, including the IA in Portugal. This programme aims to support the best scientific talent – of any nationality – and foster innovative, high quality research in Spain and Portugal.
IA is the most prominent research unit in the field of Astrophysics in Portugal, integrating researchers from the University of Porto, the University of Coimbra, and the University of Lisbon.
Projects offered by IA: The Instituto de Astrofisica e Ciencias do Espaco offers 10 research projects within this call, all part of its strategy for the 2022-2025 period:
– Exploring Supermassive Black Holes at the heyday of galaxy evolution
– Formation and evolution of H-alpha solar filaments and their influence in the CME
– SPIRou data as a window into the magnetic environment around YSO’s
– Astrophysical and cosmological applications of modified theories of gravity
– Optimization of ELT-HIRES Fundamental Physics Tests
– Unveiling terrestrial impact craters through machine learning classifiers
– Galaxy evolution on the MOONS
– Changing times – a window to planetary systems
– New insights into stellar physics from the NASA-TESS survey on A-type stars
– Mapping the clouds in exoplanetary atmospheres
Mobility requirement: under this call, candidates applying to carry out their PhD project at the Instituto de Astrofisica e Ciencias do Espaco must not have resided or have carried out their main activity in Portugal for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline. Short stays such as holidays will not be considered when calculating the mobility requirement.