Contact:  recruitment06[AT]uct.ac.zaLocation:  Cape Town, South Africa
The Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics is a large and dynamic department with over thirty permanent academic staff. We seek to make one new appointment in Applied Mathematics at the level of Lecturer or Senior Lecturer. As this appointment is linked to the South African Research Chair in Physical Cosmology, applicants should be in a closely related field (theoretical high energy physics, cosmology, astrophysics, or gravity).
* Lecturer: A PhD in Applied Mathematics, Physics, or Astronomy with research expertise in one of the previously mentioned areas, a sustained record of peer reviewed research outputs, and some experience lecturing at undergraduate level.
* Senior Lecturer: As for Lecturer, but also an established independent research record, successful supervision of postgraduate students, and significant experience lecturing a range of undergraduate and/or postgraduate courses (including course development). Postdoctoral experience is an advantage.
* Teaching and developing undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Mathematics and Applied Mathematics (within and beyond the Faculty of Science).
* Developing and pursuing an active research program, including supervising postgraduate students.
* Course convening, departmental and faculty administrative duties.
The annual remuneration packages for 2022, including benefits, is R805 385 for Lecturer level and R968 905 for Senior Lecturer level.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Natasha Khan at recruitment06[AT]uct.ac.za
* UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc )
* A letter of motivation
* your CV (including a complete list of publications), and,
* clearly articulated Teaching and Research statements
Questions about the position may be addressed to the Head of Department: mamhod[AT]uct.ac.za
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Reference number: E220146
Closing date: 09 May 2022
Faculty website: www.science.uct.ac.za
Departmental website: www.maths.uct.ac.za
UCT is a designated employer and is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity, and redress in achieving its equity targets in accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets. Preference will be given to candidates from the under-represented Designated Groups. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at
The University reserves the right not to appoint.