The Instituto de Fisica at the Benemerita Universidad Autonoma de Puebla (IFUAP) calls for applications for a postdoctoral position to work in Black Hole Rotation Curves within General Relativity and Modified Theories of Gravity.
The ideal candidate should have a strong, internationally recognized record in one or more of the following areas: black holes in general relativity and alternative theories of gravity, black hole rotation curves, general relativistic astrophysics, as well as extensive experience in Python programming and statistical Bayesian fits. Emphasis of this position will be on modelling geodesics of test particles orbiting around black holes and extracting information about their mass, spin and distance to the source, both in general relativity and modified theories of gravity.
The position is for two years (one plus one years, depending on research performance) starting in June-July 2021 with flexibility on the starting date. Candidates must hold a PhD title in physics or related fields obtained five years before the appointment (after June-July 2016). Any question regarding this position may be directed to Alfredo Herrera-Aguilar at
Applications will begin to be reviewed on June 1st, 2021; the process will continue until the position is filled. Female researchers are particularly encouraged to apply for this position.
The position is part of the “Frontier Science” research project supported by the Mexican Council of Science and Technology (CONACYT), therefore, postdoctoral researchers that already have been granted such a fellowship, cannot apply for this position.
The successful candidate is supposed to collaborate with the research group members including Ulises Nucamendi, Israel Quiros, Ricardo Garcia Salcedo, Alfredo Herrera-Aguilar, Roberto Cartas Fuentevilla, Alberto Escalante Hernandez, Tame Gonzalez Cruz, Ricardo Becerril Barcenas, and Francisco Antonio Horta Rangel, as well as several graduate students.
The candidate is expected to keep a high publication rate and to participate in the group activities. Salary and benefits are competitive (comparable to mexican standards).
Please apply by sending a cover letter, a complete CV, and a research statement to aherrera[AT]ifuap.buap.mx, and arrange for three recommendation letters to be sent the same email address. In the cover letter please mention your area(s) of expertise and specify the date of your PhD defense (or the expected date).
- Laboratory Coordinator for Physics and Astronomy Electronics Shop at the University of Kansas, USA
- Spanish Portuguese Relativity Meeting 2021 (EREP2021; online)
- Sejny Summer Institute On the Foundations of Physics, Sejny, Poland
- PhD opportunities at GRIT, Lisbon, Portugal
- Physical Interpretations of Relativity Theory, Moscow, Russia
- Nominations for the 2022 R.A. Isaacson Award in Gravitational-Wave Science are open
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Reader in Mathematical Data Science at QMUL, London, UK
- COSMO’21, Urbana, Illinois, USA
- Postdoc at Nottingham, UK
- 11th Iberian Gravitational Waves Meeting, Valencia, Spain
- Professor at The Australian National University Centre for Gravitational Astrophysics, Canberra, Australia
- Post-doctoral research position in relativistic cosmology, Warsaw, Poland
- Theory of Gravitation and Variation in Cosmology, Marseille, France
- PT-CERN PhD Thesis grant applications in CENTRA, Lisbon, Portugal
- Young Investigator Group Leader position in multi-messenger gravitational-wave astronomy, Frankfurt, Germany
- Staff scientist position in gravitational wave data analysis, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 2 years post-doctoral position in strong gravity, Aveiro, Portugal
- Postdoctoral Research Associate Position under SERB CRG project, Ahmedabad, India
- Gravitational-Wave Primordial Cosmology, Paris, France, online
- Fourth IUCSS Summer School and Workshop on the Lorentz- and CPT-violating Standard-Model Extension, online
- Postdoctoral position within the Max Planck Fellow group “Multi-messenger Astrophysics of Compact Binaries”, MPI, Potsdam, Germany
- Rising Scholar Postdoctoral Fellowships in the Department of Physics, University of Virginia, USA
- LISA Canada 2021 Workshop, online
- Call for suggestions to republish valuable physics books
- Workshop on Gravitational Wave Astrophysics for Early Career Scientists, online
- VDSP Academy 2021 on Partial Differential Equations in Mathematical Physics, online
- COST GWverse: Exchange of researchers working on gravitational-wave and black hole physics
- Postdoc in Gravity, Quantum Theory, and their interface, Mexico City, Mexico
- The 24th Capra Meeting on Radiation Reaction in General Relativity, Waterloo, Canada