Call for Applications: postdoc position in Phylosophy of Cosmology and Quantum Gravity.
The philosophy of physics group at the Department of Philosophy at UIC solicits applications for a one-year postdoctoral research position, starting August 2021. The position is contingent on confirmation of anticipated funding.
The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the Cosmology Beyond Spacetime project’s research by pursuing their own research in the philosophy of cosmology and quantum gravity and by collaborating on existing research efforts within the UIC group led by Professor Nick Huggett. They will be expected to participate in weekly project meetings during term, help with the administration and organization of the group’s activities, and contribute to the group’s outreach efforts. The project is one half of a collaboration between UIC and the University of Geneva, where Professor Christian Wuethrich is the group leader. More information on the project and the research groups is available at www.beyondspacetime.net.
Applicants with experience in either the philosophy or the foundations of cosmology and quantum gravity broadly construed will be preferred, but we will also consider applicants with backgrounds in other areas of philosophy of physics, foundational research in physics, or metaphysics, who are willing to devote their efforts to the project. All work toward the Ph.D. must be completed before the starting date and must be awarded no earlier than 2017.
The position is anticipated to be for one year. The salary will be competitive. Research funds for travel to relevant conferences and to the group at the University of Geneva will be provided.
Please complete the online application and include the names and email addresses of three references at https://jobs.uic.edu. Applications must contain a cover letter detailing the pertinent experience for the position, a CV, a one page research statement describing the work to be accomplished during the postdoc including publication plans, and one or two writing samples. For fullest consideration, please apply by 3/5/21.
Review of the files will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For more information, please contact Professor Nick Huggett at huggett[AT]uic.edu.
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse pluralistic faculty and staff committed to teaching in a multicultural environment. We strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and covered veterans. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=4292&pageId=1411899
- XV Iberian Cosmology Meeting, Online
- Quantum Gravity, Higher Derivatives and Nonlocality, (online)
- Several PhD positions “Quantum Universe” cluster, Hamburg, Germany
- CEICO postdoctoral positions in Stellar Physics and Asteroseismology, Prague, Czech Republic
- CEICO postdoctoral positions in Field Theory, Cosmology and Astrophysics, Prague, Czech Republic
- PhD position in quantum gravity, Odense, Denmark
- Postdoctoral position at UNAM, Mexico City, Mexico
- BritGrav21, Dublin, Ireland
- Programme 2021 of the THE CHALONGE – DE VEGA SCHOOL
- New book: The Origin of Spacetime Physics
- Deadline for nominations for the 2021 IUPAP General Relativity and Gravitation Young Scientist Prize is 1 Feb 2021
- Postdoctoral Fellow in Core-Collapse Supernova Theory, Stockholm, Sweden
- Postdoctoral Position in Black Hole Astrophysics at TDLI, Shanghai, China
- Assistant Professor in Astroparticle Physics at the University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, USA
- Permanent, Postdoc and PhD opportunities in gravitational waves,Toulouse, France
- Postdoc position at University of Vienna, Austria
- Three PhD positions on the interface between Quantum Technology and Fundamental Physics, Nottingham, UK
- IOP Gravitational Physics Group Annual Meeting with Prof. Andrea Ghez
- Postdoctoral Fellowships in Astrophysical Relativity, Bangalore, India
- Workshop “Primordial Black Holes confront GW data” (online)
- Heinrich Hertz Fellowship in History and Philosophy of Physics, Bonn, Germany
- 3-year Postdoctoral Position in Theoretical Cosmology, Madrid, Spainn
- New textbook: “General Relativity and its Applications: Black Holes, Compact Stars and Gravitational Waves” by V. Ferrari, L. Gualtieri, P. Pani (CRC Press, 2020)
- Postdoc and PhD positions in continuous gravitational wave research, Hannover, Germany
- Professor and Deputy Director – ANU Centre for Gravitational Astrophysics, Canberra, Australia
- Research Fellow in Inflationary Cosmology at Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation, Portsmouth, UK
- TDLI International Graduate Student Fellowships in Astrophysics, Shanghai, China
- Faculty positions in theoretical astrophysics, Bangalore, India
- 2021 Awards for Essays on Gravitation